Career coaching is successful when you are motivated and ready to invest the needed time, energy, emotion and financial resources it requires. Before signing on for a coaching engagement, take a few minutes to complete this self-quiz to discover your current readiness for coaching.
For each item below, circle from 1 (less true of me) to 4 (more true of me).
- I have a sense of urgency about reaching my goals and feel very motivated to make changes now rather than later. 1 2 3 4
- I have specific goals that I’m motivated to work on with my coach. 1 2 3 4
- I know it is my responsibility to take action to move forward and I feel ready to do that. 1 2 3 4
- I’m willing to be introspective, and look at my part in a problems. 1 2 3 4
- I’m ready to try new ideas and approaches. 1 2 3 4
- I’m willing to be honest with myself and my coach. 1 2 3 4
- I’m ready to let go of beliefs or behaviors that no longer support me. 1 2 3 4
- I’m not looking to reduce or solve a psychological problem such as depression, an anxiety disorder or other challenging emotions through coaching. I know that therapy is the appropriate place to work on that. 1 2 3 4
- I’m ready to commit to coaching as a priority by putting in the financial commitment, time and effort for sessions and tasks in-between. 1 2 3 4
- I understand that a coach will ask me questions and provide feedback, but will not tell me what to do. 1 2 3 4
10-20 Not ready for coaching at this time
21-30 May be ready; consider further and discuss with coach
31-40 This could be a great time to move forward with coaching